1. She once again went through her composition carefully to _____ all spelling mistakes from it.
A. withdraw B. abandon C. diminish D. eliminate
[注释]eliminate(=get rid of, do away with)消除，排除，淘汰：1) Can the government eliminate poverty?(政府能否消除贫困?) 2)eliminate slang words form an essay(从文章中去掉俚语词)。
2. When the little child caught sight of the young woman _____ in white he started brawling immediately.
A. dressed B. wearing C. worn D. putting on
[注释]be dressed in 穿这......衣服。Wear意为“穿着”是及物动词，语法结构上与本题不符。Put on穿上，强调的动作。
3. Some areas, _____ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
A. due to B. but for C. in spite of D. with relation to
[答案]A. due to.
[注释]due to由于。有些语言专家认为due to引导的短语，在句中只能作表语，如：1)His absence was due to the storm. 2)The delay was due to heavy traffic. 3)This accident was due to his carelessness.但现代英语里due to引导的短语可以作状语用，如：He failed due to carelessness. Due to heavy traffic, he was late for an hour or so.
4. Many university courses are not really _____ to the needs of students or their future employers.
A. associated B. relative C. geared D. sufficient
[注释]be geared to与......相连接的，与......搭配得上的。Be relative to与......有关的：This is not relative to the accident.(这和这次事故无关。)本题意指courses(课程)是否与needs(需要)挂得上钩，而不是一般得有点关系，故应选geared.
5. If we can _____ our present difficulties, then everything should be all right.
A. get off B. come across C. come over D. get over
[答案]D. get over.
[注释]get over (difficulties)克服(困难)。
6. Be careful how you _____ that jug, it will break very easily.
A. pour B. operate C. handle D. employ
[注释]handle意为“用手拿......”:Wash your hands before you handle my books.
7. We suddenly saw the bus about to leave and had to run _____ to catch it.
A. hardly B. awkwardly C. hard D. strongly
8. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army _____.
A. for long B. once in a while
C. for good D. once upon a time
[答案] C. for good.
[注释] for good (=permanently)永久地:He says he's leaving the country
for good. for long 长久地。按本题题意，用 for long 不妥。once upon a time 从前。once in a while 偶尔。
9. This year the farmers were just able to gather in the _____ before the fine weather came to an end.
A. collection B. harvest C. flower D. plant
[答案] B. harvest.
[注释] gather in “收获(庄稼)”: The farmers are gathering in the corn.
10. A successful scientist needs _____ if he wants to make hypothesis (假设) of how processes work and how events take place.
A. permission B. penetration
C. imagination D. convention
[答案] C. imagination.
[注释] imagination 想象力;penetration 穿透;permission 允许; convention 惯例，常规。
11. Tell your brother to come _____, because it's going to rain in a minute or two.
A. indoors B. outdoors C. outward D. inwards
[答案] A. indoors
[注释] 按句子的逻辑意思应选indoors adv. 向屋里;在屋里，inwards adv，向
内，向中心，outward 向外。outdoors 是 indoors 的反义词。
12. I can't advise you what to do. You must use your own _____.
A. opinion B. guesswork C. justice D. judgment
[答案] D judgement
[注释] judgement 判断。guesswork 猜测，justice 正义，公正，ideal 理想。
13. Because of the poor harvest, wheat prices have _____ in the last six months.
A. added B. jumped C. amounted D. developed
[答案] B. jumped.
[注释] jump (=rise suddenly in price) 指“(价格)暴涨”。
14. There is a 20 minute parking _____ here, so we must get back to the car very quickly.
A. freedom B. limit C. allowance D. prohibition
[答案] B. limit.
[注释] parking limit 意为在停车场“停车的时间限制”。a 20 minutes parking limit (停车时间限制为20分钟).
15. The country needs a _____ government. We have had three Prime Ministers in a year.
A. stationary B. changeless C. constant D. stable
[答案] D. stable.
[注释] stable 稳定的。stationary 静止的，不变的，固定的。changeless 不变 的 ，无变化的。constant 经常不断的。